In the past few months, the world is living in a state of dilemma. A dilemma which is affecting mostly old age and the children.
We all know that mental well-being requires a person to move around a little, breathe fresh air and whenever possible try staying close to nature. In the pre-covid era, the society parks were active in the morning and evening with children playing and the aged people walking and socializing.
But… the circumstances have now changed.
We are stuck in a dilemma where if we are going out, we are risking our physical well being and if we stay in, we are risking our mental well-being.
Children attending online classes all day, sitting in a chair all day in front of a laptop is not alright. Even in their spare time, they are either watching a movie or engage in social media. Similarly, the aged people either watch television all day or feel lonely and bored at home, since the other members of the family are either working all day or attending online classes. This again makes them cranky and puts their mental health at risk.
Here are a few tips to deal with the situation.
- Try engaging them in a hobby that gives them a chance and also provides for an emotional outlet. This could be a little exercise, cooking, sewing, etc.
- Try having your meals together. This will help the elderly get over their boredom and children to get a break from their laptops. Try discussing some old memories that remind them of a beautiful past and fill them with hope for the future.
- Make them do a little gardening or get some fresh air either on a terrace or balcony each day to give them a sense of being around nature.
- Try convincing them to reduce their screen time as much as possible. This is very essential as higher levels of screen time not only boost depression but also lowers one’s ability to read emotions.
- Last but not the least, be as positive and excited as you can around them. The negative news and social media can sometimes be very overwhelming. Make sure the environment at home does not add to it.
These are just a few suggestions, Let me know if you have any more suggestions in the comment section.
Please share it with other people who need to read this.