“A winner is someone who recognizes his god-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses those skills to accomplish his goal”- Larry Bird
Your skills are those weapons through which you navigate through life. These skills are again of two types:
- General skills
- Specific skills
General skills- These are the skills that play an important role in the general development of a person. These skills include:
- Interpersonal skills – ability to communicate your thoughts and build better relationships
- Problem-solving skills – ability to determine why an issue is happening and how to resolve that issue
- Adaptability skills– Ability to change actions or approach to doing things in order, to suit a new situation
- Leadership skills– ability to take charge and guide people when the situation demands it
- Defense skills– ability to protect yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially at the time of crises
These skills uplift the charisma of a person and the way he feels about himself. When specific skills in two people are the same, these general skills will give you an edge.
Specific skills- These are the skills that are relevant only to you because of your hobbies and career. For example, the skill of doing surgery is only required by a doctor, similarly, certain software skills are only relevant in some fields. This is an area of high competency. Everyone out there is competing with you based on these skills. It is very important to stay up to date if you want to stand a chance in the competition.
Life is a war that we are fighting with our circumstances and our internal conflicts, emotional and otherwise. To win this, we have to keep sharpening our weapons. It is very important to understand and update them from time to time.
What do you think?
Let me know your views on this.